Angler’s Paradise, Part 1 (Entry 86)

The five and a half hour drive flew by. Mostly because my mind was constantly pondering over what to expect in the coming week. It was my first visit to Angler’s Paradise. Indeed, it was to be the first fishing holiday I had been on, and I was absolutely loving the idea of staying at one of the most famous fisheries in the UK. It’s waters full of colourful species, some of which I had never caught before. Koi carp, golden tench and orfe as well as golden rudd and the hard fighting catfish. The only downside to the trip was the weather. The forecast for the first few days was quite cool with a lot of heavy rain and a strong westerly wind. But enough of that, these roads were getting narrower and steeper; my old car sounds like its on it’s last legs at the best of times.

Thankfully I arrived safely twenty minutes or so later and was greeted by Zyg in the African bar. A glass (or two) of his rocket fuel and the long journey was already fading. I couldn’t wait to get fishing but first I was shown to the chalet to unpack. By unpack, I mean drop the small clothes bag in the bedroom and unpack the mountain of angling gear. Obviously the most important thing from my point of view. The chalet, it is worth mentioning, was really lovely and had everything I needed for the entirety of my stay. For now though it was time to fish! With only two hours before darkness I didn’t have a great amount of time. I opted to take a light float set up down to the tench lake to see if I could start off with a few golden tench and orfe. The wind howled as I walked down the waterlogged hill. The light rain fell without any sign of letting up. I had donned the waterproofs and left the umbrella back at the chalet. Thankfully, the fish were obliging. Only small fish came my way, nothing bigger than eight or ten ounces, but in around an hour of fishing, I caught thirty or so blue orfe and six beautiful golden tench. Light waggler fished sweetcorn accounting for all the fish. With the light fading fast, I made my way back for a warm meal and a good nights sleep.

Small but beautiful fish

With the weather still wet and windy, the first full days fishing would take place on the floatfish lake, a lake that really could produce anything. For now though, I was more concerned with finding the most sheltered part of the lake and setting up the brolly securely. The wind was that strong I really could foresee it taking flight if a gust got hold of it. With everything in my peg eventually bolted down, I tackled up the rod, still set up with the waggler I used yesterday. For the first hour I fished a banded pellet shallow, feeding the same bait and the fishing was hectic to say the least. Nothing big at all, six ounces being the average stamp with the odd fish a little fatter. All the fish were golden rudd and very welcomed fish given the conditions. I stopped counting after fifty fish and with just over an hour gone it was time to change tactics. A small lift method set up was my choice. I fed an area close in, halfway down the nearside shelf, with some small pellets, sweetcorn and hemp. It was high time for a cup of tea and a biscuit too. This gave a little time for the bait to settle.

Straight from a garden pond...

The first put in resulted in a beautiful, chunky goldfish. It really was strange seeing these colourful fish rise from the deep water. But one I could certainly get used to. The next put in produced a brown fantail type fish, then a small golden tench. I fed fairly often and before long the fish became a much better stamp. Some of the golden tench were pushing a pound, as were the goldfish. I hooked a two, pound plus ghost commons which gave a tremendous scrap on light float tackle. The lift approach was helping get the hookbait past the bait snatching rudd and once settled I was getting bites relatively quickly. Once I got used to the way the fish were feeding and taking, the fishing was really frantic at times. Dinner time came around all too quickly and I made my way back to the chalet for a bacon and egg sandwich. I wonder if my umbrella would be there when I got back?

Another attractive, small golden tench

With my belly full and flask refilled, it was back down to the swim. Still the rain fell and if anything it was becoming heavier. My umbrella had survived and the fishing carried on with much the same regularity. Goldfish and golden tench were the mainstay of the catch and were keen on the double sweetcorn I was offering. Soft pellet and meat brought a slightly bigger fish but a much longer waiting time and as this was a holiday, I didn’t care about the size. Sweetcorn all the way then and a net full of fish. Over a hundred fish easily. The icing on the cake came in the form of a lovely little Koi carp caught just as the light was starting to dip. It fought hard like the ghost carp earlier and on light tackle was brilliant fun.

My first koi carp

With the weather forecast reporting a break in the weather the next day I booked on to the specimen orfe and tench lake for the day after. That way I had a day to prepare and some time to visit the picturesque north Devon coast. I really wanted to catch a reasonable size orfe, anything over two pound would do me really, given the conditions. But for now, I headed up the hill for some tea. Part two will feature that session and some margin fishing for some bigger koi. One last picture of a colourful floatfish lake resident below.

Vivid colours on another perfect goldfish

Thanks for reading this update. You might like to head over to my Facebook page. Once there if you ‘like’ the page, you will get all the blog, twitter and Facebook updates in one place! You can click the link at the end or hit like to the top right of the home page. Don’t forget to share this with anyone you know might appreciate it using the social media buttons below.

Click here to go to the NorthwestFisherman Facebook page

Until Next time tight lines




2 thoughts on “Angler’s Paradise, Part 1 (Entry 86)”

Please Leave a Comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s