Back on the bank but struggling (Entry 52)

Sorry for the lack of updates the past few weeks. I have been unable to get out fishing due to a major crisis and a small health problem but I can see the light at the end of tunnel for both so back to the bank I go!

Well it’s been hot hasn’t it? I’m sure the blistering conditions would have got the better of me if I had been out on the bank anyway. Thankfully my first session coincided with the wind swinging round to an easterly bringing a slightly, and I do mean slightly, fresher feel. So, as I headed to a club water in search of carp, everything felt pretty good indeed.


The water I chose was one I had not fished before. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. By no means a push over, the water seems to always have reports of ‘it’s fishing hard’ from local anglers. But I don’t let that put me off and as I walked the water several times, looking for signs of carp, it wasn’t long before my mind was drifting to what I may catch. Thats confidence for you! In one area I found three carp cruising in the upper layers. I watched them for a good twenty minutes as they took small flies off the surface. I was in no rush to get fishing. I really enjoy watching fish. It’s amazing to see double figure carp slurping down tiny flies trapped in the surface film. It hardly seems nutritionally worth it, but the carp must think so. With a lot of waterfowl on the water I didn’t feed any floating baits. Instead I just left the fish to it.


I had a lead around a few swims and found some good depths in a few areas. These areas also had substantial beds of silt. In the end, with no one else on the venue, I decided to bait a few marginal spots with small beds of chopped boilies. Not too much, especially in these very warm conditions, but enough to hold a fish for a while. I then walked between them regularly, hoping a fish would find them. I planned to present the rig (pictured above) if any carp visited. The disappearing bait would be my only giveaway. In one swim this situation began to unfold, within just two hours of the bait being introduced. I took a rod, set the trap and put a little more bait in, expecting the fish to return. I gave it over an hour, but with no action I conceded defeat. By now the light had gone and I packed away in the faint glow of my head torch. It had been a thoroughly enjoyable session all the same and I learnt a lot about the water. I also saw some lovely fish that I will enjoy trying to catch in the coming months.

Mid week I had another trip out, to the river I’ve been fishing since opening day. This visit was made as the river rose following some torrential thunderstorms early the same morning. I was happy to see a swollen river as I’ve never fished this river when it has been so high. I was hopeful any barbel would be taking advantage of the plethora of food items no doubt being washed down to them. Now, if only I could find one. I was confident that they would take my pungent 10mm halibut pellet wrapped with paste. To the gripper lead I also moulded some paste, providing more attraction for the barbel to home in on. I found a few slacker swims out of the main flow before I started fishing, three in total. In each, with a bait dropper, I introduced some pellets. With the swims primed, over the next few hours I tried a number of other swims, lowering my paste based rig into each and giving it 20 minutes or so. Trying to ‘drop the bait on a fishes nose’. Unsurprisingly I had no fish. Around nine o’clock I made my way to the furthest of my three primed swims.


I presented the same rig I had been using in the other swims. I gave it half an hour in the first, pictured above, and after ten minutes or so I had a confident pluck. It vibrated through the rod blank and up my fingers. It wasn’t debris, that was a decidedly chub-like pluck. Strange for a rising river. The bite didn’t develop and reluctantly, after 30 minutes, I headed to the second swim. This swim however was very quiet. Nothing happened at all. At ten o’clock I headed to the final swim. It looked like a blank was on the cards again. I made my final cast in the dim light. The rig settled pleasingly. After a few minutes I had a confident pluck which encouraged me. Again I toyed with the idea of it being debris. Three more plucks in quick succession. Definitely not debris. As any angler will know, there is something ‘fishy’ about certain indications. I guess it comes with experience but you learn to differentiate between the two. The swim teased me with indications; some fishy, some not. In the end I ended up staying much later than intended but no fish graced the bank.

I hope some crucian fishing will feature in the next update (as well as the obligatory blank on the river!) Thanks for reading this update. You might like to head over to my facebook page. Once there if you ‘like’ the page, you will get all the blog, twitter and facebook updates in one place! You can click the link at the end or hit like to the top right of the home page. Don’t forget to share this with anyone you know might appreciate it using the social media buttons below.

Click here to go to the NorthwestFisherman facebook page

Until Next time tight lines,



2 thoughts on “Back on the bank but struggling (Entry 52)”

Please Leave a Comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s