I would forget my head (Entry 45)

This weeks title will become apparent later on. I had two sessions this week, the first of which was back on the water I have been fishing for tench and bream. Conditions during the week had been very cool, however conditions on the day were perfect; a mild night and a similar mild, overcast day. Wanting to try to catch more bream than tench I opted for a change of bait. Pellets and fishmeal groundbait fished a good distance from the bank. I was going to fish a small cage feeder but decided against this. There was no wind and subsequently no tow on the water. I still wanted to fish past pole range so out came the waggler rod. This was I could create a lot less disturbance but still anchor the bait against the minimal tow.

IMG_1977Five feet of water in the open water down the side of the island gave me a lovely area to fish. It was here I started the session after seeing three good sized fish roll. I arrived at dawn, usually the best time of day to spot this behavior, and it was worth setting the alarm early for. I still thought the fishing would be hard but I knew there was some fish in the area at least. I fed five orange sized balls of groundbait with some of the pellets I would be fishing on the hook mixed in. I added a little molasses to the water I mixed the groundbait with. Both bream and tench love it and it’s something I have great faith in. I expected a slow start so I was surprised when after only half an hour the waggler vanished from sight. The typical thud-thud of a large bream fed back up the rod blank and the fish came in without any problems, as most bream do to be fair. Weighing 5lb 8oz it was a good start and I was sure a few more bream would find their way to my net.

IMG_1972It wasn’t to be though. After that bream I had no other bites. No signs of feeding fish. Very unusual for this lake as with the bottom being so soft signs are usually easy to spot. I can only think that both the tench and bream had started to IMG_1979shoal up to spawn. There was also a massive tadpole boom in the water. Usually for a week or so the fish are very difficult to catch when this happens. A combination of factors maybe. The only other fish I caught came before dusk. A male tench of around 4lb that looked like it had seen batter days. It hardly fought and I just lead it to the waiting net. I didn’t want to keep the fish out of the water so it was returned it immediately. The very next cast I had a similar bite resulting in a rather plump gudgeon. I fished into darkness, no more bream were caught. Not the result I hoped for. It was a difficult session but sat in such peaceful surroundings, it wasn’t a hardship. I enjoyed the session as much as any other.

Midweek saw me heading to a flash where I was hoping to spot and fish for carp. The water used to hold a lot of weed beds and cover that the fish took advantage of. I hadn’t been to the water for a few years and it seemed that it had been thinned a little. There was already a few other anglers on. I had a walk around regardless but felt the swims left would not be suitable for what I had in mind so I set off for the nearby canal. I headed down to one of the huge wides. Something didn’t feel quite right though. I couldn’t put my finger on it. A few boats passed me on the way. Ten minutes later I was at the start of the wide. It looked really inviting. Out of the main canal body, the shallower water of the wide, reed fringed and coloured, looked spot on for a late spring carp. And this canal is largely ignored by anglers. No doubt the boats put a lot of people off. I started to think about tackling up when it dawned on me what was wrong. I hadn’t brought my chair!

IMG_1990To cut a long, and farcical, story short because of the high volume of cyclists on the canal and the fact I couldn’t really sit anywhere, I ended up back on the venue I have been fishing for its tench and bream. A quick lap of the lake and I spotted its resident carp. They were holding over a very heavily weeded area of the lake. I quickly put one rod out on a chod rig and scattered some boilies. The carp, which numbered around ten, backed off from the disturbance caused. Only by a ten or so yards so I hoped that with the falling light of dusk they would drift back over the area and make a mistake. A second rod went out soon after and I sat on my unhooking mat and waited. I fished until around eleven o’clock by which time club rules meant I had to leave. I didn’t have anything but that’s fishing.

That’s it for another update. I’ve recently set up a facebook page for my blog so if you want you can like the page and it will show all the updates I do both from the blog and twitter. The best of both worlds. It’s probably a lot more convenient too. Anyway, I hope you have enjoyed it and tight lines.

Until next time,



Please Leave a Comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s